fredag 5. september 2014

100 Days of Positive Thinking: Day 25 ('Neighbours' and 'The Fault In Our Stars')

Fair evening all! It is 1 am in the beautiful land of Ghana and although I have to be up at 6 am, I spent the night up late watching movies in the lounge near my quad. How did I get there? Well, after spending some time grabbing hand-outs from the library, taking a walk to the back of the school to take in the night view from the mountains that allows you to see Accra AND Tema, and then spontaneously joining a Friday night drum circle with my friend Clare, I was making my back to my room to sleep when I noticed that the movie 'Neighbours' was screening in the lounge and no one was watching. I settled down on the couch and got comfortable to watch the movie. I sat enjoying the movie, laughing by myself when a new friend came and joined me. Then a few others walking by, probably intrigued by the laughter coming from the lounge, came to join. By the time the movie ended, we were about 5 people seated together on the couch. And Then one guy asked if we wanted to watch 'The Fault In Our Stars'. Now I read the book this summer, and I found it to be one of the most beautiful things I have read. I have been wanting to see the movie for a minute, but it was getting late and I needed to be early. I was thinking I would just watch the beginning of the movie and then head to my room to catch some shut-eye. I watched the whole darn thing. And bawled like a baby. It was beautiful. I think some more of the edge and sarcasm of Hazel's character in the book would have added to it. I loved the guy who played Augustus Waters. In fact I think I'm in love with him.

Today was really great. It felt almost like I was at home on this campus, like I had always been here. And the fact people were so open to just join in and watch a movie together was wonderful. Tomorrow we are going on a city tour of Accra. Though I have spent the past two months in Accra before retreating onto the mountain top, I am super exciting to go into the city and experience it with the other international students. I am an international student in Ghana. Can you believe it? I am just making peace with the fact that I'll always be a little bit foreign no matter where I go. And you know what? I think I am okay with it. I am culturally confused and proud of it! TCKs unite! Sharing a photo of my name tag from orientation (and the top of my head and the bottom of the bunk above me, lol).


How was your day?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar