søndag 7. september 2014

100 Days of Positive Thinking: Day 26 (A Day in Accra)

So I am writing this on Day 27, but I am just out of bed, so I figure it still counts, right? Yesterday was awesome. We left the (delicious) isolation of our mountain top for the heat and bustle Accra of, which after a week on the mountain was appreciated.


We departed said goodbye to our mountain top, then made our way to my papa's almer mater - The University of Ghana - Legon, our first site for the day. The campus was beautiful. I loved the library and the pan-African Black star on it. Also the statue of a black female scholar, who looked so distinguished.




We then made our way from there through James Town, the cultural core of the Ga community, which is the indigenous ethnic group of Accra. We saw the lighthouse, the site of Chalewote festival outside the local palace, James Town slave fort and the coastline. We drove through Makola market. wished we could have gotten down to buy some fabric, though.



We then made our way to the Kwame Nkrumah Memorial, which was a lot of fun. I bought a whole bunch of stuff at the gift store, including a beautiful dress, some Pan-African pins (Garvey, Nkrumah, Mandela, Marley and Lumumba). Following the Memorial, we went to Independence Square.



Then we made our to Osu and enjoyed some KFC and SHOPPING!! (White Chicks reference, for those who aint know).  And then our bus wheel got trapped in a gutter as we pulled into a Melcom. It was literally on a 75 degree angle, no joke. Wish I had gotten a pic of it. We came back to the mountain top pretty late and I just chilled with my roommate and then read some Ghanaian Popular Culture handouts before going to bed. In the words of Ice Cube, t'was good a day.

Images c/o my camera

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar